President Donald Trump's administration made a last-ditch Supreme Court push on Wednesday to keep construction of his $400 million White House ballroom moving before an injunction halting most above-ground work takes effect Friday.
Trump Admin's Supreme Court Hail Mary to Keep White House Ballroom Project Alive
Get Market Alerts
Weekly insights + SMS alerts
Trump Links Ballroom To National Security
Solicitor General D. John Sauer said the ballroom is inseparable from a broader military-security complex. "Every day the President does not have access to the vital security features of the military complex presents unacceptable risk, no matter how long the Project takes to complete," Sauer wrote in a filing to the court.
"Built with integrated engineering, the Project will provide in a very large way, a 'safe room' for the Presidency and the continuity of government," he added. Trump has repeatedly framed the ballroom as a security project, calling it Wednesday "the greatest military complex slash ballroom anywhere in the world." The President has earlier said that the structure will include anti-drone technology.
The administration says the project is about 65% complete, with a 250-person crew working 20 hours a day, seven days a week. Its Supreme Court filing says the concrete-and-steel structure reaches 70 feet above ground, occupies nearly 50,000 square feet and is "beyond the point of return." Trump previously said the expanded project should cost "something less than" $400 million.
Appeals Court Says Congress Must Decide
The National Trust for Historic Preservation sued after Trump ordered the East Wing demolished in 2025 to make way for the planned ballroom. A divided D.C. Circuit upheld an injunction blocking above-ground construction unless Congress authorizes it, while permitting underground bunkers, military installations and medical facilities to continue.
The court said building the ballroom "is for Congress to decide and is not a matter for Executive self-help." The Trust accused the administration of trying "to outrun judicial review."
Sauer countered that congressional approval would give "Congress dangerous leverage over the President" when structural vulnerabilities emerge. He also challenged the Trust's standing, arguing its theory could give tourists and online viewers a "spectator's veto" over government construction.
Supreme Court Faces Friday Construction Deadline
The ballroom litigation has repeatedly moved through federal court. The Supreme Court could act before the injunction takes effect Aug. 21 as Trump seeks a stay while preparing a full appeal.
More News

Small Colorado Company (Backed by Sam Altman) Could Save U.S. Power Grid

The trading strategy that works BECAUSE you have a life

The Free Guide Every New Options Trader Needs

Trade this between 9:30 and 10:45 am EST

Watch this before August 31st

Your $29.97 Book Is Free Today

SPCX just hit $2 trillion. That's not the story.

He turned $12K into $1.65M without touching Apple or Tesla
Get Market News Alerts
Real-time alerts on price moves, news, and trading opportunities.
Join 20,000+ investors. No spam, ever.
Featured Articles
View all news
Stock Market Today: Dow Jones, S&P 500 Futures Fall as Trump Launches 'Operation Economic Fury' on Iran— BULL, WMT, MRK Stock in Focus

Once you see it, you can't unsee it (Ad)

Trump's 'Economic D-Day' on Iran: A New Escalation with Global Ripples

Crypto Mining Stocks Go Absolutely Bonkers: BTC Digital Soars 111% After-Hours, BitMine Joins the Party

Steve Hanke Warns Bond Vigilantes Are Back, Says 10-Year Yield Could Rise Another 50 Basis Points: 'Very Bearish'

3 AI stocks to buy before December 2026 (Ad)

Nikki Haley Says Social Security Could 'Go Bankrupt' in 5 Years as US Debt Tops $40 Trillion: 'Past a Crisis Situation'






