Attorney General Todd Blanche says the Trump administration believes Congress has already authorized construction of President Donald Trump's White House ballroom, even as a federal appeals court has ordered above-ground ballroom construction halted unless the Supreme Court intervenes.
Trump AG Todd Blanche Says Congress Already Authorized White House Ballroom as Supreme Court Fight Intensifies
Get Market Alerts
Weekly insights + SMS alerts
Blanche Says Congress Already Granted Authority
"We don't believe we have to go to Congress. We believe Congress has already given us the authority to do what we're doing," Blanche told Fox News late on Sunday, arguing previous presidents undertook substantial White House work under authority Congress had already provided.
The dispute centers on a planned 90,000-square-foot ballroom on the site of the demolished East Wing. A divided U.S. Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit ruled on Aug. 7 that Trump lacked unilateral authority to proceed without congressional approval, writing that "Each President is a temporary tenant, not the owner, of the White House." The court temporarily stayed its order to allow an appeal.
Supreme Court Fight Turns On Security
Trump's administration asked the Supreme Court on Friday to keep construction moving while it appeals. Solicitor General D. John Sauer called the project part of an integrated military complex and argued its secure ballroom was essential to national security.
Blanche echoed that argument on Sunday. "It's also a meaningful upgrade and necessary part of the security of this city and the security of the president and his family," he said, adding that it was not merely "a place for world leaders to come and have dinner."
Trump has repeatedly rejected the need for congressional approval and called the appeals-court decision a "National Disgrace."
Funding Scrutiny Adds To Ballroom Battle
The National Trust for Historic Preservation sued after Trump ordered the East Wing demolished last fall. The appeals court said national-security concerns did not eliminate the requirement for congressional authorization.
The fight has also drawn scrutiny over costs and funding. Congressional Democrats have sought greater oversight, while questions persist over security-related appropriations and private donations.
Blanche, as things stand, says the administration expects the Supreme Court to side with Trump. "We're hopeful that the Supreme Court recognizes that so we can get the ballroom finished as soon as possible," he said.
More News

Final call: the window slams shut August 18th

3 AI stocks to buy before December 2026

Once you see it, you can't unsee it

Watch this before August 31st

$44 Trillion “Super Convergence:” Elon’s Biggest Move EVER?

The trading strategy that works BECAUSE you have a life

Buy this stock tomorrow

URGENT: $2 Gold Stock With Major Discovery
Get Market News Alerts
Real-time alerts on price moves, news, and trading opportunities.
Join 20,000+ investors. No spam, ever.
Featured Articles
View all news
Trump Says No to Iran Ceasefire Extension, Tehran Threatens 'Fully Offensive' Posture: Brent at $91

Trade the "Fav-4" for weekly income (Ad)

Stock Futures Slip as Trump Rejects Iran Ceasefire Extension; Home Depot, Super League, Flexsteel in Focus

RTX's Raytheon Wins $22.9 Billion Tomahawk Deal as US Rebuilds Missile Stockpiles

Wall Street Is All-In on Stocks. BofA Says That's a Sell Signal.

He turned $12K into $1.65M without touching Apple or Tesla (Ad)

US and Canada Eye Tariff Cuts on Autos as Deadline Looms






