Transportation Secretary Sean Duffy took to social media on Sunday to tout the Trump administration's $5 billion investment in America's rail system, and he didn't mince words when it came to California's high-speed rail project.
In a post on X, Duffy shared a video highlighting the investment, saying, "We are putting money where it matters, and delivering results for the American people." The video, shot at Cincinnati Union Terminal, noted that the station once saw 17,000 passengers pass through daily.
Here's the interesting part: about $2.4 billion of that $5 billion was redirected from federal grants that had been earmarked for California's high-speed rail project. That's a significant chunk of change, and it's not sitting well with some. Earlier, Xavier Becerra, who won the Democratic primary to replace term-limited Gov. Gavin Newsom in November's gubernatorial election, had already vowed to scrap the project in its current form.
The Department of Transportation released an official statement on Friday detailing the plan. The Federal Railroad Administration (FRA) will invest $5.3 billion in upgrading the system, including $2.05 billion to purchase 43 new trainsets for Amtrak.
"Instead of wasting billions of dollars on a train to nowhere, we are fixing thousands of grade crossings – saving lives and improving communities across America," Duffy said in the statement. The investment also includes closing over 30 grade crossings and upgrading roughly 1,000 crossings with new infrastructure.
Now, about that "train to nowhere" comment. The California High-Speed Rail Authority says 463 miles of the planned 494-mile San Francisco-to-Anaheim Phase 1 system have been environmentally cleared and are construction-ready. Construction is currently active on 119 miles in the Central Valley, with more than 80 miles of guideway completed. But here's the catch: the project still faces a substantial funding gap. California officials have acknowledged that additional funding will be needed to complete the broader system.
So, is this a case of one infrastructure project being sacrificed for another? Or is it a smart reallocation of resources? Depends on who you ask. But one thing's for sure: the debate over how to spend billions on rail isn't going away anytime soon.















